Thursday, April 10, 2008

Equipment needed for Turbulence Training workouts

The equipment that you need will vary depending on which workouts you choose to do. Some require just your body weight and others require various items such as a swiss ball, dumbbells, a mat etc.

So far I have completed three of the workouts, beginner level, Intermediate level and Advanced (Original) level. The equipment I have used for these workouts include:

Swiss ball

It is better to invest in a good quality swiss ball and make sure it is the correct size for you.

Dumbbells

I use dumbbell bars with separate weights so I can increase the weight as get stronger.

Mat

I use my yoga mat to provide cushioning for my knees (fold it up several times for press-ups) and elbows. My husband doesn't use anything, just does it on the carpet.

Blocks

I just use a couple of 3x2's on top of one another. Possibly not the safest option!

Step

I use a Reebox step but you could just use steps somewhere around the house such as a stairwell or stairs going up to your front door or deck.

Weight bench

A swiss ball works fine as a substitute for a weight bench for light weights but you will eventually need to get a bench (or start with a bench if you are already strong). For the workouts above you just need a simple bench if a swiss ball is not suitable. There are many different types of weight benches to choose from. I suggest you do a bit of research and visit a few fitness stores to find out which is the best bench for you. Cheap is not always better but you can get some really good quality, strong and stable weight benches for a reasonable price.

I currently use an old (8 years old) Golds Gym bench with cradles for a bar (for bench-presses) and attachments for leg extensions and leg curl. I am looking at upgrading to an Apex AX765 as it has a lat pulldown attachment, the back of the seat can be set at 90 degrees and the cradles can be used for squats (not designed for squats this but it is possible). The lat pulldown attachment can be removed for storage. The down side is that this bench is a lot bigger than the one we have now and it does not fold up. I have not seen any decent quality benches that fold recently. I think they may be extinct!

Weight gloves

I use gloves to stop my hands getting calluses. They are not essential.

Cardio equipment

What you use for the cardio part of the TT workouts depends on personal preference, budget and weather! You will also need to take into account any injuries or weaknesses.

I have a spin bike, elliptical trainer, mountain bike and my legs! Most of my scheduled TT cardio sessions are alternated between the bike and the elliptical. I also go for walk/runs for variety. Ideally, if you can afford a stationary bike then that would be my first recommendation. If you can afford a good quality spin bike then that’s even better. They are awesome. The elliptical is great for variety but you have to work quite hard to get up to the sort of intensity you need to for TT cardio sessions (don't be scared, you only have to get up there for a very short amount of time!). I would also love to get a rowing machine at some stage. They are great for working the entire body.

Other

- iPod or other type of mp3 player and great music!
- Folder and pen to put your workout schedule in and write up your workout each time
- Bottle for water

Putting together equipment for a home gym needed cost a lot. Look out for second hand equipment. A lot of people out there are not as committed to making exercise a lifestyle thing as you are! Gym equipment is always being upgraded so keep an eye out for 'last year's model'. Ask your friends. Chances are they have one or two pieces of equipment stashed away in the dark recesses of their garage or spare room that they might be keen to get rid of. I rationalize the cost for equipment with the fact that it would have cost way more for my husband and I to have been members of a gym for the past 10 years and that you can't really put a price on your health.

Obviously, if you join a gym then you will have all the equipment you need there.

If you have any questions regarding equipment feel free to ask me. Although I am not a fitness equipment expert, I have done quite a bit of research in the past to buy my own equipment.

0 comments: