Monday, April 21, 2008

The secret to achieving your weight loss goals

Whilst a lot of time and effort is put into the physical fitness and nutritional aspect of losing fat, often very little if any time is set aside to work on developing and maintaining a good strong and focused mindset.

Having the right mindset and setting aside regular time to work on and improve your mental state with regard to your fitness and health goals is essential to maintaining consistency and 'sticking' with it. It is essential to helping you through the tough times and to helping you refocus and get back into it when things don't go quite to plan rather than giving up.

Aside from the practical benefits of the planning and preparation process mentioned in an earlier post, it is also part of my 'mental fitness' program. It helps to create top of mind awareness so I don't 'forget' what I am trying to achieve. During the days that lead up to the start of the challenge, I try to dedicate time each day (doesn't always happen!) to work on my planning and preparation which keeps me thinking about my goals and helps build up excitement and commitment.

Other things that help prepare me mentally are talking to people about what I am doing (plus that adds an extra touch of accountability!), thinking about things as I drive to and from work and reading information about nutrition and fitness. Probably the best and most effective way to prepare yourself mentally is to find a nice quiet place and spend a few moments just sitting, thinking and visualising yourself doing your exercises, saying no to some yummy food that you ordinarily would find hard to resist or looking great in your favourite pair of jeans.

It is amazing how much it helps just writing posts for my blog, or writing in my journal in the TT member area or talking to other members of TT online. I also collect motivational literature and subscribe to a number of free newsletters that always have inspirational and motivational stuff in them. Every thing that I do that is related to my fitness and weight loss goals helps to prepare me mentally. Recently I became part of the Magic100 community which has also played a huge part in ensuring I maintain focus on my goals. I will talk more about Magic100 in future posts. If you are interested in finding out more now go to the Magic100 website. In brief, the Magic100 is the best goal setting process I have ever come across and believe me, I searched high and low for a great goal setting process that would work for me. If you are sick and tired of drifting aimlessly and never really achieving the things that you want to then I highly recommend the Magic100.

Having and maintaining the right mindset is so very important to your ongoing success. In the past this area was overlooked in the various fitness programs that were available. I was never taught this at any of the gyms I belonged to. No one really discussed it at all. That is not the case now. Any good fitness program will have information on goal setting and other areas related to getting yourself in the right place mentally.

I know it works and I know it HAS to be an ongoing commitment - a lifestyle thing. The moment I stop paying attention to my mental fitness when it comes to my weight loss goals, my willpower and focus start to leave me. It doesn't happen suddenly - it happens over several weeks, but eventually I end up going right back to my old habits once again.

Do some research. Find out ways that you can work on your own mental fitness to develop strength and commitment to reach your goals.

0 comments: